Top Four Peanut Butter's Brand Name Foods
1. Skippy Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
This is the first all-natural spread seen that requires no stirring and no refrigeration. It has a smidge more sodium and saturated fat than the other three.
Per 2 tablespoons: 180 calories, 16 grams of fat (3.5 saturated) and 150mg of sodium.
2. Naturally More Peanut Butter
From the taste, you would never know this powered-up peanut butter was loaded with a combination of wheat germ, flaxseed, flaxseed oil, and egg whites for a protein and omega-3 boost.
Per 2-tablespoons: 169 calories, 11 grams of fat.
3. Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
Just salty enough and studded with nutty nuggets for a satisfying crunch, each 2-tablespoon serving has 2.5 grams of saturated fat and 120 milligrams of sodium.
Per 2 tablespoons: 210 calories, 16 grams of fat.
4. MaraNatha Organic No Stir Creamy Peanut Butter
This peanut butter boasts a short ingredient list and is easy to stir. Plus, it is low in sodium (only 80 milligrams) and has a mere 2 grams of saturated fat.
Per 2 tablespoons: 190 calories, 16 grams of fat. Their Roasted Peanut Butter is equally as good.
Reduced Fat Peanut Butter
Although the light version of peanut butter has about 30 percent less fat than regular, it often contains more sugar and sodium. In fact, the added sugar makes the calorie difference between the two negligible.
Don't fear the fat. Most fat in peanut butter is the heart-healthy monounsaturated kind. Ideally, find nut butters that contain a single ingredient - nuts.
Storing Peanut Butter
If peanut butter is kept at room temperature it can be stored for up to one year unopened. After opening it is best to keep it in the refrigerator for three to four months.
Quick Peanut Butter Nibbles
- Put peanut butter on a toasted whole-wheat English muffin; top with pear slices and honey.
- Blend peanut butter, a banana, 1 percent milk and a little vanilla extract for a smoothie for two.
- Make a sauce by combining light brown sugar, low-sodium soy sauce, lime juice, peanut butter, crushed red pepper, and a minced garlic clove. Serve with vegetables, pita wedges, or chicken.
- One whole-wheat tortilla with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat peanut butter and 1-tablespoon all-fruit strawberry jam.
Chunky to Smooth
To make chunky peanut butter smooth, slowly heat up the peanut butter until it liquifies. Then put it through a fine mesh strainer. Use a spoon or rubber spatula to help the peanut butter go through. Store in a separate container.
Did you know?
March 1 is National Peanut Butter Lovers Day.
P.S. National Peanut Butter Lovers' Month is November!
Share This Page