Healthy cooking starts with cutting down on the fat and salt you add to foods. This may mean learning some new ways to cook. But it does not mean losing flavor or spending more time in the kitchen. There are lots of quick, easy ways to cook without using fat and salt.
There is an abundance of Healthy Recipes right here on Belly Bytes.
Cook with Less Fat
Try the healthy cooking tips below with your existing recipes or all the new ones you can collect, if desired.
- Remove skin from chicken and turkey, and trim all visible fat from meat before cooking.
- Broil, bake, stew, poach, or microwave fish, chicken, turkey and meat.
- Brown meat under the broiler.
- Roast on a rack so the fat drips away.
- Simmer in low-sodium broth or wine instead of frying in fat.
- Use nonstick pans or nonstick cooking spray.
- Steam or microwave vegetables without adding fat or salt.
- Chill soups and stews. Then skim off any fat before reheating and serving.
Add Flavor Without Fat or Salt
- Try herb blends, lemon juice, pepper, or flavored vinegar on vegetables.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, and peppers to flavor beans and rice.
- Sprinkle herbs on fish, chicken, turkey, and meat, and in soups.
- Marinate fish, chicken, turkey and meat for flavor. Try ginger, lemon juice, low-sodium salsa, or wine.
- Spoon natural cooking juices over meat in place of gravy or cream sauce.
Lighten Up Your Recipes
- Replace whole milk or cream in soups and sauces with low-fat milk, evaporated skimmed milk, or nonfat dry milk.
- Replace half the fat called for in baked goods with applesauce.
- Use low-fat or nonfat sour cream or cottage cheese to make dips and toppings.
- Use nonfat yogurt or low-fat buttermilk in salad dressings.
- Use two egg whites or one-quarter cup egg substitute in place of one whole egg.
- Use fat free or reduced-fat cheese in place of high fat cheese.
- Stir-fry skinless chicken breasts with vegetables and curry.
- Top rice with steamed vegetables and fresh parsley.
- Make chili using two or three kinds of beans instead of meat.
- Steam frozen carrots or peas, then season with mint.
- Boil noodles and to with fat-free tomato sauce and a little Parmesan cheese.
- Core apples and fill with raisins; bake.
Share This Page