Quick Healthy Meals
All of the healthy quick dinner suggestions below contain the following.
- Average calories for women: 390
- Average calories for men: 515
The additional suggestions for men are simply because men generally need a higher amount of calories than women. And also please note, your choice of items may alter the caloric content somewhat. The numbers above are averages.
Lentil Soup with French Bread
Heat 1-1/2 cups of lentil soup (canned is fine). Serve with a large slice of French bread (about the size of a woman's hand), spread with 2-teaspoons of butter.
To-Go-With: Serve with one-half cup of red bell pepper strips.
Men: Have an apple for dessert.
Have one slice of a large pizza (14-inch - not thick crust) topped with two vegertables, such as mushrooms and green bell pepper.
To-Go-With: Add a salad with 1-cup of mixed greens, one-half cup of chopped vegetables and 2-tablespoons of reduced calorie dressing.
Men: Add a 12-ounce light beer).
Suggested recipe: Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza
Microwave a frozen pasta dinner of 300 to 330 calories, such as Healthy Choice Manicotti with Three Cheeses.
To-Go-With: Add a salad with 1-cup of mixed greens, one-half cup of chopped vegetables and 1-1/2 tablespoons of low calorie dressing.
Men: Add one-half tablespoon of dressing and an orange.
Have a large chili and a side salad; use one-third packet of fat free French dressing.
Men: Top the chili with 2-tablespoons of shredded Cheddar cheese, and have three packs of saltines).
Dinner at the Mall
At Schlotzsky's Deli, have the small Dijon Chicken sandwich from the "Light and Flavorful" menu, plus a small Garden Salad with one-third packet of light Italian dressing.
Men: Have the small Santa Fe Chicken, Chicken Club or Corned Beef sandwich and the same salad).
On the Lighter Side
For healthy quick dinner suggestions on the lighter side, consider the following.
- Half a turkey sandwich on 100 percent whole wheat bread, loaded with the vegetables of your choice and served with a side of fresh fruit.
- Mixed greens topped with a hard-boiled egg, reduced fat cheese and lots of diced vegetables. Serve with your favorite light dressing.
- Whole wheat tortilla filled with black beans, reduced fat cheese, fresh tomato, spinach, salsa and reduced fat sour cream.
- Canned tuna mixed with 1 tablespoon reduced fat mayonnaise, a bit of mustard and black pepper. Enjoy over whole wheat pasta, fresh spring greens or with whole grain crackers.
Share This Page