- More than 5 times the vitamin C of oranges
- As high as banana in potassium
- More calcium than any fruit
- Contain more phosphorus and potassium than any other fruit
- Second only to elderberry in iron and protein
Black currant has exceptional nutritional value. Seeds are rich in both omega-3 fatty acids. Fresh fruit have an abundance of vitamins A, B and C and contain between 6 and 9 percent sugar. Currant seed contains highlevels of GLA, gamma linolenic acid. The deep rich color of black currant is a strong antioxidant.
Currants can rightfully be called the "King of the Berries" due to the intrinsic biological and nutritional physiological values of its fruits... it contains several-fold higher concentrations of potassium, iron, vitamin C, organic acids and biologically active plant phenolic compounds than other fruits. In this respect, the black currants constitute a distinct group among the fruits. These compounds exert a synergistic effect in the human organism.
Vitamins and Minerals
Black Currant takes first place in calcium and iron over all fruits. They are also an excellent source for vitamin C and vitamin A. Black currant also is a very good source for phosphorous, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin) and high in isoflavonols. This fruit is reported to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and natural laxative properties. In the October 2002 issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, German researchers reported that black currant juice may cut the risk of kidney stones.
Zante currants are made from Black Corinth grapes, a seedless grape variety that originated in Greece. Zante currants are very small, black, tender and have a tart, spicy flavor. They are only 1 to 2 percent of natural seedless grape production.
Baking with Zantes. Not to be confused with black currants and red currants, which are berries grown on small shrubs, Zante currants are perfect for baking and are referred to in recipes as "currants".
- Rich source of Vitamin C.
- Supports the immune system to fight common disease like cold, flu and infection.
- Contains high amounts of flavonoids which promote cardiovascular health.
- Rich antioxidant content.
- Black currants are said to help memory due to its ability to increases oxygen supply to the brain from antioxidants and iron.
- Help increase immune function.
- Reduce risk of colon cancer and helps protect against heart disease.
- High in antioxidant protection.
- Low in calories and sodium, zero fat or cholesterol.
Black Currant Smoothie Recipe
Blend fruits together for 1 minute. Add ice cubes and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
Variation: substitute peaches with 1 can crushed pineapple or your favorite fruit.
Note: Black Currants freeze well. You can enjoy this recipe all year long with frozen berries.
Share This Page