Mouth Puckering Tangy Lemons
The pleasant, mouth puckering tang of lemons can add so much to so many things! Lemon flavor is definitely one of mother nature's finest!
Did you know?
- The lemon originated in China?
- Lemonade was a favorite of the Chinese Emperors?
- British sailors earned the nickname "limeys" during the 1600s and 1700s because the British Navy discovered that limes (and lemons) would prevent scurvy, a vitamin C deficiency disease that was fatal on long voyages that lacked fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Lemon water contains high levels of vitamin C, which can reduce cortisol, the stress hormone that contributes to belly fat. Lemon water also fends off bloat, which prevents metabolism plateaus.
Valuable Tangy Lemons
Lemons are valued for their many uses in flavoring the food we eat, as a garnish, and for household purposes. Lemons contain nearly twice the vitamin C of limes, though you'd have to eat a whole lemon to get even half the Daily Value of vitamin C.
Uses of Lemon in Herbalism
- In herbal medicine, folk practitioners have used lemons for corns, fever, indigestion, and for sore throats (Maiscott 2000).
- Others have noted the use of lemon for circulation, ringworm, and other medical purposes (Chevallier 2000).
- Lemons have anti-inflammatory properties, are diuretic, and are a good source of vitamin C (Fleming 2000).
- Modern research supports the positive effects of lemon on venous conditions (Wichtl 2004).
Lemon Juice : If you have diarrhea and can't leave the house to purchase an over the counter remedy, try reaching for those lemons. The juice in them can kill of the pathogens that cause it. Drinking the juice of one lemon three to five times a day should do it.
Selecting, Washing & Squeezing Lemons
Select lemons that are bright yellow. Lemons should be firm and heavy. Avoid lemons that are bruised, wrinkled or have brown spots. Avoid soft, shriveled lemons with spots. The best lemons will be fine textured and heavy for their size. Thin skinned fruit tends to have more juice, while fruit that has a greenish cast is likely to be more acidic. One medium lemon has about 3 tablespoons of juice and 3 tablespoons of grated peel.
In squeezing a lemon for juice, let the lemon sit at room temperature and roll on a hard surface before squeezing. One lemon yields up to three tablespoons of juice. Ice cubes frozen with a twist of lemon peel add flavor to diet beverages and sparkling mineral water. Alternatively, you can microwave them on high for 30 seconds, then roll them on the counter to burst the juice cells; slice and juice.
You may store lemons at room temperature for a week to 10 days, or longer in the crisper bin of your refrigerator.
Lemons Aid Detox
Lemons are the best liver detoxifiers. In addition, they contain high amounts of vitamin C, a vitamin needed by the body to make a substance called glutathione. Glutathione reduces the likelihood of negative effects from environmental chemicals. Vitamin C and other antioxidants found in lemons are integral to warding off cancer, and fighting the effects of pollution and cell damage. They also help our adrenal glands manage the effects of stress.
A Morning Detox Aid With Lemon
Start with the fresh juice of half a lemon squeezed into warm, pure water first thing upon rising in the morning. This helps stimulate your bowels to eliminate the waste products that may have built up in your intestinal tract.
It also helps to balance your blood pH. In other words, it reduces the acidity of your blood. This is essential because pain and disease thrive in acidic blood. The simple act of neutralizing the acidity helps lessen pain and decrease any harmful pathogens that reside in your body. Also, the act of detoxifying stirs up toxins that are predominantly acidic. You may be thinking, "But lemons are so acidic, how can they possibly alkalize my blood?"
Lemons are acidic, but when they are metabolized in your body, they have an immensely alkalizing effect.
Lemon Nutritional Facts:
- Lemons are fat free
- Lemons are saturated fat free
- Lemons are very low in sodium
- Lemons are low in calories
- Lemons are high in Vitamin C
One medium lemon contains:
- 31 milligrams of vitamin C
- 80 milligrams of potassium
- 1.6 grams of fiber
Quick Lemon Tips
- Freeze lemon juice in ice cube trays for later use.
- Add a twist of lemon to the water in ice cube trays for added zip to beverages.
- Use juice on fruit or white vegetables to help them keep their color.
- Remove odors, such as fish, onion, or bleach by rubbing with fresh lemon.
- Lemon and salt can be used to treat rust spots, and to clean copper pots.
- Get the most juice out of your lemon by warming it in the microwave for 15 seconds or rolling it with your hand on the counter if it is at room temperature.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to whipping cream if it doesn't stiffen.
Grated lemon peel, known as the zest, contains the phytonutrient d-limonene. Researchers at the university of Arizona in Tuscon have found that people who ate as little as one tablespoon of grated citrus peel (lemon or orange) a week were 30 percent less likely to develop skin cancer. D-limonene is found only in the oil of the peel and not in the flesh or juice of lemons.
Super Summer Treat
Lemon Meringue Milkshake: Blend 1 cup each lemon sorbet and vanilla frozen yogurt, 1/4 cup milk and 2 tablespoons jarred lemon curd; pour into glasses. Beat 2 egg whites and 2 tablespoons superfine sugar until stiff. Spoon onto the shake glasses and brown with a kitchen torch.
Cold Fighting Lemon, Honey and Garlic Soup
Add 1 tablespoon each finely diced yellow onion, celery, and carrots; 1 minced clove garlic; 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest to soup bowl. Cover with 1-1/2 cup hot vegetable broth and drizzle with honey. Stir to combine.
Lemon Skin Care
Lemon and Olive Oil: A mask solution consisting of the juice of a lemon and 1/4 cup of olive oil works to exfoliate and smoothen skin by combining the stimulatory effects of the lemon with the monounsaturated fat of olive oil.
Fresh Lemonade Recipe Card
You may also like...
Mayda Mart: Mayda Mart! Uniquely yours goods and creations such as creative custom calendars and more.
Cybernation - Printable pleasures and digital delights! Clip art, cards, invitations, more.
Fit n Free
Fitness and Freebies - Positively dedicated to your health! Special diet recipes and much more.
Share This Page