Vitamin and Mineral Facts
Uh-Oh. A Hangover.
If you wish to avoid a hangover, remember to take your vitamin and mineral tablets during the period you are drinking. Your body tends to get depleted when you overindulge.
Following is a list of the supplements needed to metabolize alcohol.
Vitamins for a Hangover
Minerals for a Hangover
- Remember to take a Chewable Vitamin C Tablet to counteract the effects of nitrites in bacon, lunch meats and hot dogs.
- Mushrooms contain hydrazines, a substance that can affect vitamin B6 absorption.
- Chocolate contains oxidates and theobromine which effects calcium metabolism and how the body utilizes protein.
- Vitamins B and C are destroyed by boiling.
- Many vitamins are acidic and are changed into a salt by contact with baking soda.
- Chlorine reduces the effectiveness of vitamin C.
- One years supply of folic acid (a B vitamin) would fit into one-sixth of a teaspoon.
- Raw fish, shellfish, Brussels sprouts and red cabbage contain thiaminase which may destroy the B vitamins. Cooking, however, will deactivate them.
- The FDA has taken isolated amino acids off the list of substances, generally regarded as safe (GRAS) saying that they may cause an imbalance of other amino acids and effect their absorption.
- Tea and red wine contain tannins which interfere with the utilization of iron, thiamin and B12.
- Cooking not only destroys certain water soluble vitamins, but some of them will bind with other chemicals and then will not be absorbed by the body. Use very little liquid and cook for a short period of time.
- A new soft drink that advertises that it contains 25 percent of your daily vitamin needs, only provides you with the more common vitamins that you could get in the most mediocre diet.
- Coffee interferes with iron absorption and tends to leach magnesium out of the body.
- Chocolate, cashews, collard greens, beet greens, Swiss chard, spinach, rhubarb and beets contain oxalates which interfere with the ability of the body to absorb calcium.
- Vitamin C helps the iron in foods to be absorbed. We normally absorb only 15 to 30 percent of the iron in foods.
- High doses of vitamin C may not be absorbed at the high level taken. Your body will only metabolize about 200 to 250mg per hour at the most.
- PABA may retard graying hair and has even been known to bring back the original color.
- Vitamin E is best absorbed in he intestines in the presence of fat. Best to take with meals containing some fat, even a glass of 2 percent milk would help.
- Americans spend 3.4 billion on nutritional supplements annually.
- A report in the Journal of the American Medical Society cited studies that revealed eating excessive amounts of foods high in vitamin A, such as liver, carrots, etc. may cause headaches and vomiting.
- Taking one teaspoon of pure crystalline vitamin C when you awake with 8 ounces of water usually results in a bowel movement within 30 minutes.
- For white males and black females calcium losses begin at a faster pace than the rest of the population after age 30. For white women, it begins at age 18. Black men seem to be exempt from this problem.
- Calcium is best absorbed when taken with meals, since it is absorbed best in an acid environment.
- Boron may assist bones to utilize calcium more efficiently. Best sources are prunes, raisins, almonds, peanuts, dates and honey.
- Vitamins keep their potency longer if kept in the refrigerator.
- Supplements have their highest absorption levels when taken with food.
- New studies show that smoking one cigarette can destroy up to 100 milligrams of vitamin C.
- Your body will lose vitamin C three times faster if you take aspirin.
- Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron.
- Calcium and vitamin C should be taken in small doses four times per day for the highest utilization rate.
- If you lack vitamin A in your diet, it may lead to a weakened immune system and a loss of vitamin C. Also, adequate vitamin A is necessary to help your body absorb dietary zinc.
- A small amount of sugar taken with a calcium supplement will increase the absorption rate.
- If you drink soft water you should take a magnesium supplement.
- If you are taking more than 500mg of calcium daily, space out your dosage, it will absorb better and you should not have a constipation problem.
- Sardines are an excellent source of calcium. Three of those little fish supplies approximately 370mg of calcium, more than 8 ounces of milk.
- Vitamins A, D, E and K should be taken with food, since they are fat soluble and will be absorbed more efficiently.
- Vitamins B and C are water soluble and are absorbed easily in the intestinal tract.
- Cutting or chopping any food high in vitamin C releases an enzyme that can destroy the vitamin. Leave all fruits and vegetables whole or in large pieces until ready to eat when possible.
- PMS robs your body of vitamin C. Recommend 250mg four times per day.
- Breast cancer death rates are the highest in areas with the least amount of sunshine. Lack of vitamin D could be the problem.
- Beta-carotene is only available from plants; Vitamin A comes from animal sources. Recommend a beta-carotene supplement every other day for antioxidant protection.
- Vitamin C and aspirin should not be taken together, according to studies done at the University of Southern Illinois. The studies indicate that when combined, heavy doses produce excessive stomach irritation, which may lead to ulcers.
- Studies by the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center suggest that vitamin C may prevent cataracts.
- Too few people plan their meals in advance. This results in poor combinations of foods, leading to inadequate vitamin and mineral intake.
- The majority of restaurant meals are lacking in fruits and vegetables.
- The health of the nerves and especially their protective sheath depend on an adequate supply of vitamin B.
- When under stress, bodily needs for vitamin C may increase 100 times.
- Due to the multitude of diet programs available today, it is impossible to relate the nutritional inadequacies found in many of the programs. These programs do not take into consideration the individual life style differences in persons using their methods or products. Supplementation should be recommended in most programs.
You may also like...
Helpful Health Products
Changing the rhythm of your breath for 10 minutes a day and enjoy awesome improvements to your wellbeing. Grab The Power of Breathing
Skinception Argan Oil reduces skin aging, moisturizes, fights acne and even heals psoriasis. Argan oil, sometimes called "liquid gold", has numerous therapeutic and cosmetic uses.
Digestive Science - Start feeling better from the inside! Efficient digestion affects your overall energy, weight, skin, clarity of mind, sleep, and general feelings of health.
Share This Page
Disclaimer: The herbal and health information provided in this Web Site is intended as information only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. You should consult your health care professional for individual guidance. Persons with serious medical conditions should always seek professional care. If there is a link to a product in an article, a small commission of about 4 percent may be paid if a visitor to the site purchases the product.