Common Names: Noni, Mengkudu, Morinda, Indian mulberry, Hog apple, Canary wood
Latin Name: Morinda citrifolia
Traditional use: Noni has been traditionally used in Polynesia as a dye.
Noni is an evergreen shrub or small tree that grows throughout the tropical regions of the Pacific Ocean, from Southeast Asia to Australia and especially in Polynesia.
The medicinal parts of the noni plant are the leaf, fruit and root. The fruit is inedible.
In laboratory research, noni has shown antioxidant, immune-stimulating, and tumor-fighting properties. These results suggest that noni may warrant further study for conditions such as cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Recent NCCAM (National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine) funded research includes a study on noni for cancer to determine its safety and potential effects on tumors and symptoms. The National Cancer Institute is funding preliminary research on noni for breast cancer prevention and treatment.
What Is Noni Used For?
- In Folk medicine, Noni is used for diabetes, as a blood purifier (for women), for fever and stomachache (Malaysia).
- Noni has a history of use as a topical preparation for joint pain and skin conditions.
- Today, people drink noni fruit juice as a general health tonic, as well as for cancer and chronic conditions such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
How Noni Is Used
Traditionally, the dried leaves are used as hot compresses on the chest and stomach (for fever and stomachache).
Today, the fruit is most commonly combined with other fruits (such as grape) to make juice. Preparations of the fruit and leaves are also available in capsules, tablets, and teas.
Original Noni Juice
Original Noni Juice combines ancient tradition with modern science. An all natural fruit juice that brings the health giving properties of mother nature to your doorstep. Try Noni Juice and experience the tremendous power of this super fruit.
Vitabase Super Fruit Formula is founded on the principle that the best way to get antioxidants is from many different sources. Experience the synergistic effects of five super fruits (mangosteen, acai, pomegranate, noni, goji) plus resveratrol. These ingredients work together to support energy levels and strengthen the immune system. Buying these ingredients in one convenient formula is a great way to save money over buying the individual ingredients./p>
Side Effects and Cautions
- No health hazards are known in conjunction with the proper administration of designated therapeutic dosages.
- Noni is high in potassium. People who are on potassium restricted diets because of kidney problems should avoid using noni.
- Several noni juice manufacturers have received warnings from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration about making unsubstantiated health claims.
- There have been very few reported side effects from using noni.
- Avoid Noni if you have liver disease because it contains compounds that may make your disease worse.
Share This Page