Minty Citrus Party Cooler makes a great cooler for a summer party with its fresh citrus juices, ginger ale, club soda and mint.
All citrus fruit falls under the category of what is known as acid fruit. The acid fruits are the most detoxifying fruits you can buy/eat, and excellent foods for health.
Citrus Fruits and Juices
Citrus fruits and juices are full of vitamins and minerals essential to maintaining a healthy diet. The American Cancer Society, March of Dimes and American Heart Association have recognized the important role a balanced diet including citrus fruit and juices may play in helping to reduce the risk of certain cancers, neural tube birth defects and heart disease.
Although citrus fruits truly are very good for you, when you have a bug like the flu, you should avoid them because the body could over-react detoxifying and make you even more sick.
Some people might have mild digestive problems with these fruits because of the acid content. However, the acid is a healthy and organic nutritional element. For instance: ascorbic acid is vitamin c, found most abundantly in fruits and vegetables.
Other people have one type of fruit that irritates the body or that they just don't care for. This can be caused by an allergic reaction - it's important for you to determine if any reaction you may have to any fruit is allergic.
Some irritations can actually be linked to lactose intolerance . Stories are known of people who's stomach irritation for freshly squeezed orange juice disappeared after cutting down strongly on cow milk products. Many people find relief from these symptoms with the use of acidophilus.
Types of Citrus Fruit
- Rough lemon
- Leech Lime
Quick Cooking Tips
- Keep the rinds of oranges and grapefruits. Grate them and store in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator. They will make excellent flavorings for cakes and frostings, fish, poultry and desserts. Then grind the last bits in the garbage disposal for a fresh scent.
- Shredded grapefruit makes a great addition to any fish salad.
- If you allow a grapefruit to stand in boiling water for a few minutes it will be easier to peel.
- Adding thin strips of citrus zest to a sauce or gravy will enhance the flavor. We suggest using lemon or lime as a compliment to grilled meats, chicken, or fish.
- Add a little lemon and lime to tuna to add zest and flavor to tuna sandwiches.
- To help clean raw meats and poultry, rinse them with lemon before preparing and cooking.
- Adding a lemon wedge to the saucepan when you are cooking broccoli, cauliflower or onions will cut down on the odor considerably.
- Freeze lemon peels in ice cubes for use in water glasses.
Store citrus fruits (especially grapefruit) upside down. Since the fruits hang from the trees, their sugars are more concentrated at the bottom. Placing them upside-down allows the sugars to redistribute throughout the fruit.
Did You Know?
In 1753, Scottish naval surgeon James Lind, having discovered that citrus fruit prevents scurvy, published his findings in his "Treatise of the Scurvy". He urged the British Admiralty to add citrus juice to the naval diet. The British navy ignored Lind's prescription for 42 years.
You may also enjoy...
Share This Page