A number of new studies show that many high-carbohydrate foods - like potatoes - are also high in weight-watching resistant starch. The starch seems to stimulate hormones that make you feel full and even help your body burn 20 percent more fat.
Cold potatoes (think potato salad) are a great source for resistant starch. Chilling their carbs develops the starch. Other good choices are Pasta salad, corn tortillas, and Great Northern beans.
Onto our pleasing potato recipes!
- New Potatoes with Black Peppercorn Butter
- Parmesan Potato Puffs
- Creamy Potatoes
- Cheddar Horseradish Potato Salad
- Mexican Potato Salad
- Mushroom Potato Salad
- Wonderful Stuffed Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Custard
- Sweet Potato Custard II
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Greens
- Mashed Potatoes with Artichoke Hearts
- Mashed Potatoes Extraordinaire
- Chipotle Mashed Potatoes
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes
- Wasabi Mashed Potatoes
- Moroccan Spiced Sweet-Potato Medley
- Potato Sausage
- Delicious Oven French Fries
- Mock-Southern Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potato Spread
- Praline Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Burrito Spirals
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Amasake Scalloped Potatoes
- Chili Topped Spuds
- Spanish Potatoes
- Guilt-Free Potato Casserole
- Roasted Potatoes
- Potato Wedges (2 Variations)
- Quick Skillet Potatoes
- Potato Hash
- Asparagus and New Potatoes
- White Potato Pie
- Memorable Potato Cake
- Potato Chocolate Cake
Potato Trimming Tip 1: Use 2 tablespoons of light whipped butter instead of 2 tablespoons of regular butter to top your baked potato - you'll reduce fat and calories without sacrificing the rich flavor of butter.
Potato Trimming Tip 2: Cut the fat by substituting plain nonfat or lowfat yogurt for traditional sour cream on baked potatoes.
Potato Trimming Tip 3: For a less calorie laden potato topping, whirl low fat cottage cheese or ricotta in a blender to smooth out the lumps, then stir in chives or chopped parsley. Or use low fat yogurt mixed with chopped basil, Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper. To thicken the yogurt, spoon it onto a piece of cheesecloth and suspend it over a bowl in the refrigerator over night to drain off the whey.
Grandma's Potato Puffs Recipe
Potato Cooking Tips
- To make lighter and fluffier mashed potatoes, add a pinch or two of baking powder to the potatoes before whipping.
- To easily give potatoes (or rice) added flavor, cook them in half water and half chicken or vegetable broth. If you use low-sodium broth, you can cook your potatoes entirely in broth instead of water.
- To bake potatoes quickly, place them in salt water for 15 minutes before baking.
- Do not store potatoes and onions together. Potatoes will rot quickly if stored with onions.
- To make colorful mashed potatoes, add a few drops of food coloring and mix well. Create a festive holiday food. Green for St. Patrick's Day. Orange for Halloween. Red for Valentine's...
You may also like...
- Potato Pancakes (Breakfast Recipes)
- New Potato Cake (Cake Recipe Collection)
- Enlightened Sweet Potato Cake (Cake Recipe Collection)
- Grilled Three Cheese Potatoes (Grilling Recipes)
- Lighter Sweet-Potato Muffins
- Chicken Dijon Potato Salad (Salad Recipes)
- Potato Salad (Salad Recipes)
- Potato Salad with Tomatillo Sauce (Salad Recipes)
- Garden Potato Salad (Salad Recipes)
- Turkey Potato Salad (Salad Recipes)
- Mile High Baked Potato (Sides and Slaws)
- Lactose Free Potato Soup
- Low Fat Potato Soup (Soup Recipe Collection)
- Low Fat Potato Onion Soup (Soup Recipe Collection)
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes (Vegetable Recipe Collection)
- The Powerful Potato
- Fab Foods: Potatoes
- Potato Food Facts
Share This Page