Between-Meals Guilt Free Snacks
If you choose snacks wisely, they can provide a nutritional boost and keep you satiated between meals without going overboard on calories, sodium and fat. A few healthy snack alternatives include kale chips, hummus (on celery sticks or whole grain pretzels), almonds and walnuts, lettuce wraps (a slice of turkey and a little mustard wrapped up in a lettice leaf) and plain, low fat yogurt - maybe with some nuts or a dash of honey to sweeten it up.
Trimming Tip: Select an appetizer as your main entree.
Satisfying Snack & Appetizer Recipes
- Chia Snack Bars
- Protein Power Balls
- Crispy Pita Chips & Pita Triangles
- Low fat Snack Mix
- Cajun Chex Mix
- Homemade Orange Refresher
- Chewy Snack Squares
- Chocolate Popcorn Squares
- Honey-Almond Caramel Corn
- Cheese Crackers
- Graham Cracker Sandwiches
- Munching Goldfish and Friends
- Bugs and Dirt Nature Snack
- Honey Crispies
- Herbed Pasta Chips
- Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
- Snack Mix Squares
- Apple Smiles
- Chocolate Marshmallow Slices
- Marshmallow Dip Sticks
- PJB Snack Puffs
- Pizza Puffs
- Teddy Bear Carousel
- Peanut Butter Granola
- Pecan Snack Recipes - Spiced, coated, toasted, pralined, hot, barbecued and buttered pecan recipes!
- Spiced Nut Recipes - One recipe for spiced peanuts and two for a mix of nuts or your personal choice.
- Walnut Snack Recipes - Four fun ways to jazz up walnuts - cajun, spiced, sugared and crisped.
- Spiced Toasted Almonds
- Spiced Cashews
- Slow Cooked Spicy Cashews
- Spicy Pecans
- Spiced Nuts (Two variations; 1 with pecans, the other with peanuts)
Healthful Evening Snack Ideas
- Small bowl of whole grain cereal and fat free milk.
- Peanut butter on whole grain crackers with fat free milk.
- Sunflower or sesame seeds with apple slices and low fat cheese.
- Fresh Grape and Nut Snack. Mix 1/2 cup grapes, 12 lightly salted almonds (about 1-tablespoon) and a dash of ground cinnamon in a small bowl. 110 calories per single serving.
The next time a sugary craving hits you, reach for one of the following tasty snacks. They are filling and will calm cravings. Unlike snacks, filled with empty calories, the following foods will satisfy you and nourish you, so you will not find yourself foraging for more.
- One slice of toasted whole grain raisin bread with 1-tablespoon of low fat cream cheese (or 2-tablespoons of whipped cottage cheese) and 1-tablespoon of all-fruit spread.
- 8 ounces of low fat vanilla yogurt mixed with one small box of raisins and 2-tablespoons of low fat cottage cheese (for a protein boost).
- One honey whole-wheat English muffin with 2-teaspoons of low fat cream cheese sprinkled with a dusting of ground cinnamon and 1-teaspoon of sugar.
- One chocolate sorbet bar (such as Haagen-Dazs or Sharon's Sorbet)
- Two whole grain crackers (Wasa or rice cake) with 1-tablespoon of peanut butter and 1-tablespoon of jam or all-fruit spread.
- One baked apple with 2-tablespoons of low fat vanilla yogurt.
- Three frozen Tofutti bars
- One-half cup of vanilla frozen yogurt scooped into 12 ounces of diet root beer.
- Two whole grain crackers (or two brown rice cakes) with 2-tablespoons of low fat cream cheese and 1-tablespoon of jam
- One bran muffin with 1-tablespoon of jam, 1-teaspoon of peanut butter or 2-tablespoons of low fat cream cheese.
- One medium package of biscotti with 8 ounces of low fat hot chocolate or chocolate milk
- One piece (one-half ounce) of top-quality semisweet or bittersweet (dark) chocolate (such as Dove, Callebaut, Vahlrona or Ghirardelli)
Shopping for Snacks
Check the Nutrition Facts panel and look for these numbers: Less than 200 calories, and no more than 3g of total fat, 1g of saturated fat, 400mg sodium per serving. Bonus challenge: Choose snacks with no hydrogenated oils in the ingredient list. Don't expect to find much protein, vitamins or minerals in the snack aisle -- most of these foods don't offer a much nutrient bang for your bite. Above all, stick to the recommended serving size to keep from going overboard on calories.
Did You Know?
Some of the highest fat crackers are Ritz, Town House and Goldfish, which contain approximately 6g fat per ounce.
Most snacks are high in fat as we all know, but even if they're reduced fat, manufacturers usually increase the sodium and calories, making them just as unhealthy.
You may also enjoy...
- Game Day Pretzels (Soy Recipe)
- Holiday Snack Mix
- Healthy Snack Foods for the Super Busy
- Smart Snacks
- Twenty Stress-Fighting Snacks
- Healthy Popcorn Recipe Collection
Share This Page