Between-Meals Guilt Free Snacks
If you choose snacks wisely, they can provide a nutritional boost and keep you satiated between meals without going overboard on calories, sodium and fat. A few healthy snack alternatives include kale chips, hummus (on celery sticks or whole grain pretzels), almonds and walnuts, lettuce wraps (a slice of turkey and a little mustard wrapped up in a lettice leaf) and plain, low fat yogurt - maybe with some nuts or a dash of honey to sweeten it up.
Trimming Tip: Select an appetizer as your main entree.
Satisfying Snack & Appetizer Recipes
- Chia Snack Bars
- Protein Power Balls
- Crispy Pita Chips & Pita Triangles
- Low fat Snack Mix
- Cajun Chex Mix
- Homemade Orange Refresher
- Chewy Snack Squares
- Chocolate Popcorn Squares
- Honey-Almond Caramel Corn
- Cheese Crackers
- Graham Cracker Sandwiches
- Munching Goldfish and Friends
- Bugs and Dirt Nature Snack
- Honey Crispies
- Herbed Pasta Chips
- Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
- Snack Mix Squares
- Apple Smiles
- Chocolate Marshmallow Slices
- Marshmallow Dip Sticks
- PJB Snack Puffs
- Pizza Puffs
- Teddy Bear Carousel
- Peanut Butter Granola
- Pecan Snack Recipes - Spiced, coated, toasted, pralined, hot, barbecued and buttered pecan recipes!
- Spiced Nut Recipes - One recipe for spiced peanuts and two for a mix of nuts or your personal choice.
- Walnut Snack Recipes - Four fun ways to jazz up walnuts - cajun, spiced, sugared and crisped.
- Spiced Toasted Almonds
- Spiced Cashews
- Slow Cooked Spicy Cashews
- Spicy Pecans
- Spiced Nuts (Two variations; 1 with pecans, the other with peanuts)
Healthful Evening Snack Ideas
- Small bowl of whole grain cereal and fat free milk.
- Peanut butter on whole grain crackers with fat free milk.
- Sunflower or sesame seeds with apple slices and low fat cheese.
Shopping for Snacks
Check the Nutrition Facts panel and look for these numbers: Less than 200 calories, and no more than 3g of total fat, 1g of saturated fat, 400mg sodium per serving. Bonus challenge: Choose snacks with no hydrogenated oils in the ingredient list. Don't expect to find much protein, vitamins or minerals in the snack aisle -- most of these foods don't offer a much nutrient bang for your bite. Above all, stick to the recommended serving size to keep from going overboard on calories.
Did You Know?
Some of the highest fat crackers are Ritz, Town House and Goldfish, which contain approximately 6g fat per ounce.
You may also enjoy...
- The Nut Case
- Game Day Pretzels (Soy Recipe)
- Holiday Snack Mix
- Healthy Snack Foods for the Super Busy
- Smart Snacks
- Twenty Stress-Fighting Snacks
- Healthy Popcorn Choices
- Healthy Popcorn Recipe Collection
Share This Page