- Put on some protein. It is not only an essential nutrient, it helps fill you up and keep hunger at bay. A couple ounces of sliced grilled meats, chopped hard-boiled egg, beans or drained, water-packed tuna are all great choices.
- Go Easy on the Dressing. Flavorful dressings can often shoot the calorie and fat content sky high. Some restaurant dressings can add as much as 300 calories! That is like topping your salad with a small order of French fries. Typically vinaigrettes are better choices than calorie-laden creamy dressings. Instead of pouring your dressing over your salad, have it on the side and dip into it - you'll end up eating less.
- Think outside the bowl. Try less common salad toppings. A couple of tablespoons of dried fruit or nuts can add texture, flavor and nutrition.
- For an even higher fiber, higher protein salad, drain a can of beans and add to your favorite salad recipes.
Savor our salad recipes!
- Yummy Couscous Salad
- Reduced Calorie Salad Niciose
- Cool Taco Salad
- Fruited Grain Salad
- Cabbage Tossed Salad
- Apple-Grape Salad
- Carrot Raisin Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Quinoa Salad
- Colorful Fruit-and-Greens Salad
- Crunchy Tuna Salad
- Layered Italian Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Orange Jicama Salad
- Watercress, Fennel and Orange Salad
- Mango and Melon Salad with Strawberry Sauce
- Refreshing Chicken Salad
- Spinach Salad with Nectarines and Raspberries
- Corn Salad with Cilantro Dressing
- Spinach and Fava Bean Salad
- White Bean Salad
- Lentil Salad
- French Lentil Salad
- Baby Lima Bean Salad
- Black Bean Salad (2 Variations)
- Lettuce Salad with Warm Dressing
- Sunshine Salad
- Marinated Salad with Cellophane Noodles
- Carrot Salad with Dill
- Caesar Salad
- Fresh Cabbage and Tomato Salad
- Zucchini Salad
- Potato Salad
- Potato Salad with Tomatillo Sauce
- Garden Potato Salad
- Turkey Potato Salad
- Apple and Celery Salad with Peanuts
- Mexican Style Three Bean Salad
- Watercress and Endive Salad with Winter Fruits
- Veggie Salad Delight
- Mardi Gras Salad
- Soys Me Salad
- Mexican Tomato Salad
- Fresh Shrimp or Salmon Salad
- Golden Corral's Seafood Salad
- Corn, Tomato and Basil Salad
- Sunomono Salad (Japanese Noodle and Cucumber Salad)
- Tuscan Bean, Tomato and Bread Salad
- Fig and Feta Salad
Salad Trimming Tip. Ask for oil and vinegar with your salad instead of regular dressing. Be generous with the vinegar and just put on a drizzle of oil.
Speed up salad making by washing, drying and cutting all ingredients as soon as you buy them. Then store in a plastic bag. At mealtime, just pull out the bag and make the salad.
Keep Salads Fresh. To keep salad fresh, place an inverted saucer in the bottom of the bowl before adding lettuce. The extra water will drain and accumulate under the saucer instead of soaking into the salad. Wrap your washed lettuce in paper towel when storing it in the refrigerator to prevent "rust".
To add a hint of citrus to salads, fruit or other dishes, fill a small spray bottle with fresh lemon juice. Place it on the table with other condiments and let your family use it for seasoning.
Tasty Tip: Add grilled vegetables to your salads. Order a side of grilled zucchini or onions and toss it into your salad. If you cut the dressing, that bit of oil will keep the salad from getting dry.
Add nuts to your salad to make it a more substantial meal.
Flavor Fav. Add a dash of garlic powder to any mayonnaise based potato salad for a great pick-me-up.
Almost Salt-Free Salad Dressing
For a week's worth of almost-salt-free salad dressing, combine 2/3 cup olive oil with 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon honey, and a spritz of fresh lemon. Shake well.
You may also like...
- Apple Salad
- Chicken Fajita Salad
- Cajun Tomato Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Quick Low Fat Fruit Chicken Salad
- Chicken Dijon Potato Salad
- Chicken, Rice and Fruit Salad (Whole Grain Recipe)
- Chicken and Rice Salad (Whole Grain Recipe)
- Rice Salads: Surprise for the Taste Buds!
- Healthy Fruit Salad Recipe Collection
Share This Page